Live Second: 365 Ways to Make Jesus First is a devotional book for all ages. Being that I work with junior high students, I can easily see this as a resource that they would connect with.
In this has twelve sections, one per month. Within the sections are seven days worth of devotional reading, reflection, & discussion questions. Each section begins with someone’s story (video), and the following days are a devotional reading on certain aspects of the Christian life.
What I like about the book:
- It is designed to be used hand in hand with The Bible. It’s not a “stand alone” devotion book in this regard. I like the discipline of going to your own Bible and reading.
- The layout: 1 Devotion per day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year. No off days. There are no specific dates on the pages, simply Day 1 through Day 7 and then it starts over at Day 1.
- To quote from the Introduction, “You don’t need to believe in Jesus to start the journey.” So true! This book connects with the early believer and challenges everyone to consider what life would be like by putting Jesus.
- It’s social media savvy. Also, every devotion for the day has corresponding a twitter hashtag (#). This allows you to continue the discussion in realtime through twitter.
- All of the video stories are easily accessible through a QR Reader which makes it simple for smartphone users. If you don’t have a QR Reader, the website link to the video is provided.
What I’m uncertain about:
- The twitter hashtags provided with each devotion make it obvious that it’s social media driven. Being on twitter myself, I can see the positive with this but it also carries the downside of having to “front” or join a popularity contest. I will be interested to see how these hashtags are utilized. (Note: I’m reviewing this book before public release. At the time of this writing, I have not found any tweets utilizing these hashtags provided).
- The devotion for each day opens with a short verse then prompts the reader to reference and read the full passage in The Bible. I love the discipline of going to your personal Bible for the scripture but it’s an easy road to read the day’s devotion without opening The Bible.
All in all, I’m excited to see the response to this daily reader and how the social media aspects are acted upon.
Live Second: 365 Ways to Make Jesus First
By Doug Bender
December 11, 2012
To let you know, I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson in exchange for this review. I was not required to write a positive review, instead encouraged to write what I think.