“After Shepherds Went Home” Part 1
Pr. Ed Baker
First Line: Live camel in the nativity, didya see that? Fell into pew. That’s why we don’t do that…
> Listed many post xmas things we do…
How about Mary and Joseph’s “after Xmas”?
Mary and Joseph did the things the law required.
- 8th day circumcision
- Mary “unclean”
- Joseph too, if he helped deliver baby
- Firstborn was to be God’s, go to temple to dedicate child to Lord
- Luke 2:21-38
Talking about Anna
- 82 yrs old
- Lived in the temple complex
What if you committed to give the gift of praying for someone, by name, every single day? What a huge gift and a difference maker.
Talking about Simeon
- Anticipated the Messiah (anointed one)
- “Christ” is anointed one in Greek
- Many ppl had given up on Messiah. Simeon did not. He prayed for it over and over
- God revealed to Simeon that he would see the Messiah personally in his lifetime
- It happens. God tells Simeon “this is it” and Simeon is “ready to die” for he had seen the Savior.
Waiting is hard…isn’t it?
Suggestions for waiting
- To make sure what you are waiting for is of God.
- Many things that God promises are not for us.
- Remember, God always does what is good and what is wise.
If you’re struggling in a waiting game with God, read Psalm 40
Let’s live lives of faithful prayer and faith